Sunday, October 12, 2008

Scariest night of my life.

I was hanging out with one of my good friends at his friend's house. Someone started knocking at the door in a threatening manner and eventually kicked in the door. We then found out it was a group of boys (I call them "boys" because clearly they don't know how to act). My adrenaline was pumping from the moment the door gave way to their demanding nature. They started verbally harassing my friend and eventually jumped him. I was frozen in place for at least 30 seconds. I went outside and was about to call 911 when the cops arrive right on time and handled the situation. My friend told me to go to his car, lock the doors, and stay there. I obeyed and called a couple of friends, who ended up calming me down. During that process, I found out via text that my friend was okay and he came to the car after filing a police report. They ended up asking me a few questions as well.

Overall, I was scared for my life tonight. My heart is still trying to calm down even though everything is okay. My friend and I were trapped in a situation that could have ended up being fatal. All the dudes who were with us disappeared instantly after the idiots came in.

It's a shame that there was nothing I could do in the situation. If I had been a dude, I probably would've left with a few bruises like my friend did. The boys did not touch me. And my friend was looking out for me in my best interest. Even though this was a horrible altercation, I realized who was there for me, as well as who was there for my friend.

When I was in the car by myself, I had no idea who to call. I could have contacted my best friend from home first, but I decided to go with one of my good friends who was still on campus. She calmed me down a great deal, so I called my best friend next. I would have called my mom, but I didn't want to scare her or have my dad come on campus in anger towards the situation.

In cases like this, I feel like our true selves come out. No matter how strong we are, we will be placed in situations where we will be faced with our fears and weaknesses. We are all vulnerable.

I'm okay, for the most part. I just need to get some rest, but I had to get this out first.

Edit: "Destiny" by Zero 7 will always remind me of that night. That was the song I played (like 11 seconds into it my best friend called me) and I sang (sans mp3 player - left it in my friend's car) when I was trying to calm down. I just got my player back and instantly listened to that.

1 comment:

Notorious Nikki said...

OH my! I am sorry to hear about this, it just goes to show that we are not truly invincible. Things that" happen to other people" indeed happen to us as well. I am sorry i didn't answer.I was knocked out, I know that this was a scary situation, but it is something that we all eventually learn. We know that the world is not necessarily the ideal place that we are sometimes led to believe due to the situations our parents have made for us! I'm glad you were not harmed, and I'm glad that things did not end fatally. Human life is precious and hangs in the balance each second we are alive, you just never know how susceptible you really are!